Saturday, April 16, 2005

Murphy's Law

Had a run-in with the law ... hold it, don't gasp yet...not the law of the courts but that of a person by the name of Murphy! Have to go dig up his story later & figure if there's any link with this ez-link card story...

Here's how it started..on that eventful star-struck afternoon on the way up the bus, couldn't locate this card that I should never leave home without. Took the seat just behind the driver & continued flipping thro' the stack of cards in my foldable Converse wallet. Then dug into my haversack for that Ferragamo wallet where I keep the rest of my cards in a less haphazard manner. No ez-link card in sight! Haiz! No easy task riding a bus.

Ah, can pay by coins, but how much? Asked driver. 80cts. Shucks..counted only 75cts in my wallet, where to find extra 5 cts coin...panic button still on...how can say 'lend me 5cts, pay you back another time' to strangers. Thinking back, someone might have just given me five worthless cents if I had asked but then, it never occured to me to go a begging.

Driver realised my dilemma & asked 'how much you have?' 5 cts short. Instructed me to throw whatever I have into the coin box. In the process, one coin slipped out of my fingers onto the floor of the driver's seat. Oh golly! butter fingers. The ever cool & patient driver just punched the ticket console & I hurriedly collected my ticket (after some fumbling) from the old fare box where previously, the commuter inserts his card & manually punch the correct fare button & out pops the ticket.

On my way back, while musing over the day's experience, missed alighting at the usual stop. Arghh, gotta walk an extra bus-stop distance back, cos' not enough coins left (I changed just a dollar at the supermarket earlier, enough for the bus-ride home). So began a long walk under the scorching sun back to Dorset (via Essex, Derbyshire, Carlisle) from U.S. (United Square!) lugging a couple of bags of groceries...haiz..

Back home, turned my shorts' pockets inside out but no ez-link card! $30 worth of fares missing...sigh...
checked wallet to see if enough dough left to buy a new card. Surprise, surprise, as I flipped thro' the cards once again, there was the ez-link card, snuggled between my name cards. Case of cards fraternising too much..ha..

No comments: